Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Grasping for Straws

Politics is an ugly business, there is no doubt about that. My time here in DC has confirmed that, if not by the fantastically sadistic phone calls and letters we get than by the baptism by fire an intern has to be ready for while in government. Let's face it, government isn't a sexy place to be, as well as it shouldn't be since there are countless broken, corrupt parts that make up the Beltway. Fans are few and hard to come by in constituent contact to our office, but again, thats just the nature of the beast for every office.
But in many ways, my internship has been characterized by experiences outside of being handcuffed to a copier. I've had opportunities to sit in on tons of enlightening hearings and briefings and witnessed first hand democracy at work. I'm truly blessed and I wouldn't take anything back.
Then to make things even more incredible, the outstanding Washington correspondant for the Connecticut Post, Peter Urban, contacted our office and I was fortunate enough to be the subject of an article. Granted, this piece was not designed to be Pulitzer prize winning material, but rather a piece to help the folks back home gain some insight into who is working (without pay) for their best interests. In the interest of full disclosure, I have a few ties to the Post from my mom being a former employee to my own internship for the Post's Editorial section. I know and trust the paper and the resulting article couldn't have pleased me more. To think of the opportunity to make PAGE 4 of the Post! This soon in my life! It was such a rush. And the reaction to it from everyone was so positive. I honestly feel like I've done something special.
But remember, this is politics, and its a nasty business... I accept that and welcome that. And the man I work for, Chris Shays, is no stranger to the most brutal and unwarranted of attacks. So be it no surprise that those who continue to mischaracterize one of the brightest, most kind hearted, and moderate leaders on the Hill have to go to such lengths to attack him that they stretch far beyond the usual ad hominem salvos. That's right, they go after an intern.
My oh my, aren't the internet and the blogosphere a great invention? To think, we now have the capacity to totally and blatantly miss the forest for the trees in a way that means our liberal, basement dwelling brethren can act as surrogate demi-gods and critique pay-less, college, wide-eyed kids. Is this what it's come to?
And we're not talking about kids who are ignorantly challenging the establishment because its cool or questioning authority because we're know-it-alls... but kids who are trying to help themselves and their community by taking advantage of opportunities to make a difference. Kids who not only talk about rocking the vote, but actually show up on election day and the days leading up to it on the campaign trail. Kids who are conscious enough to get involved and take advantage of the qualities God gave them. Perhaps I've totally crossed over to pretentious mode, but I think I've reached that plateau of being plugged in and aware.
But that doesn't satisfy the liberal mob who must have blood. Once they've had their fill of Chris Shays, they move on to the interns. Thats what the blog-post about me has boiled down to: attacking kids. Whether it be the condescending "We want you to make the most of your internship" all the way to the ignorant "He should have better heroes/role models," to the crazy "you will one day realize the shame of working for Shays" and the baffling "why hasn't he enlisted?" What isn't twisted from the Post story itself is simply fabricated and my personality and record butchered. As an intern in the office, I know the general deal with MyLeftNutmeg. Only they take themselves seriously in their self-aggrandizing mirror. But behind the binary curtain, they're exposed as liberal nutjobs that would make Michael Moore proud. Virtually no attack has merit, so be it no surprise that neither does the one on interns.
And man do they grasp for straws.
I'm super pumped I got to meet Chevy Chase. I told Peter Urban that. It fit the tone of the story. And now apparently I hate the troops. Are you kidding me? No attempt at honest dialogue was made. None. No benefit of the doubt was given to a kid. None. They came close... they asked rhetorical, loaded questions of what I could possibly believe, but in the end the worst was assumed. And why? Because they are desperate, petty, Shays-hating liberals.
You want my views on Iraq, scroll down to where I explain my disgust for the way Bush handled the war, how the Democrats would be even worse for it, and how it does touch me personally seeing as I have a grandfather who is a veteran of WWII, an uncle who is a graduate of West Point and recently retired a Lt. Col. in the Army, and two cousins in the Marines, one of which is currently in Iraq. But yeah, the war hasn't touched me. Yeah, I need new heroes.
If anything, the referenced tripe from the liberal fairyland can stand on its own unintentional comedy for the desperation and ridiculousness it oozes in every petty paragraph. This is the current state of liberal America: attacking kids. I only felt compelled to respond because of the personal nature of the attacks, otherwise I wouldn't even dignify it with a response. But come on, enough is enough. If any of the folks there would have the courage to apologize, I would gladly accept it in the name of forgiveness. But until then, I suggest they think long and hard at who they put in the cross hairs and what they want their Web site to be labeled as. Because right now, it's sitting pretty between grabage and idiocy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hal, you ought to grow up and quit pretending you're still just a kid.

At 20 years old, you're older than half the Americans dying in Iraq. No one is suggesting that you shouldn't enjoy the freedom which is college, but you also have a responsibility to come to grips with the United States current foreign policy.

I asked you some fairly simple questions which you skipped entirely in favor of complaining about how you are being "attacked". Please show me the "attack" against you, b/c I don't see one.

You need to figure out whether this blog is meant to be self-promotion, or self-examination? If you can't defend your politics, you ought to admit as much.

Respectfully,

TrueBlueCT

Unknown said...

Hal,

Let’s be honest with each other, shall we? The CT Post article was journalism at its worst, a piece of political propaganda packaged as a human-interest story. That’s not a criticism of you. It’s a criticism of the CT Post. The diary I wrote states that pretty clearly. I don’t know why you took offense. Perhaps it was because Peter Urban made you look a bit shallow and, because he’s a friend of yours and you can’t criticize him, you criticized me for pointing it out.

So, I’ll state flat out: I’m not criticizing you. I’m criticizing the CT Post. In truth, I don’t know you. The article told me nothing about you. That is why the story in the CT Post was so inane.

Here’s what I said:

The glaring omissions from this story are these questions: How does Mr. Lambert feel about the Iraq War, which Congressman Shays has consistently supported? And if this intern does support the war -- and, like Chris Shays, feels threatened by "Islamofascists" -- why doesn't he enlist? Has he ever visited Walter Reed hospital, and what were his impressions?
[…]
Perhaps Mr. Lambert never heard of Killington's Jason Lantieri, or other CT residents who failed to make it safely back from the war…. Perhaps, if he were asked, Mr. Lambert would have told us how torn he is about this conflict. Maybe he did express such thoughts, but the Post failed to print them. We don't know.


We still don’t know.

Shays voted to authorize the war. He came back from Iraq time and again and told his constituents we were making progress in Iraq, when in fact we weren’t. He claimed that Abu Ghraib didn’t involve torture, when it obviously did. His support for the war helped George Bush get re-elected and helped to prolong the war. When the war became unpopular, Shays told his constituents during his 2006 reelection campaign that he wanted a timeline to end the war, which he promptly voted against once he returned to Washington.

During all this time, some of Chris Shays’ constituents — moms and dads and people your age — were going off to fight in that war. Many didn’t come home alive or completely whole. I’m glad that you weren’t one of them. I’m glad that you can attend college and work as an intern in Washington, and that you are out of harm’s way. It just sucks for the people who felt the call of duty and got themselves blown up, especially the National Guardsmen, who thought they were signing up for local service here in Connecticut.

Again, I don’t know how you feel about all this because Peter Urban didn’t tell us. I don’t know how you feel about Chris Shays’ unyielding support for the war, because Peter Urban didn’t mention it. All I know is that you think Chris Shays is a great guy and a moderate, and that you’re having a great experience as an intern. But do you really think that’s worth a Page 4 story in the CT Post?

I wrote that diary to make a point about newspaper coverage of politics and war, and about the fact that many Americans are untouched by the war, including many of military service age. While some 18-to-35-year-olds, including moms and dads, are serving 15-month tours of duty or two or three tours, other 18-to-35-year-olds are not. And that begs the question: Why? If the Iraq War is so vital to our national security — if “winning in Iraq” is so important — why aren’t ALL 18-to-35-year-olds serving? Our military is stretched dangerously thin. Why isn’t Chris Shays asking every able-bodied person to serve? Does Shays want to “lose” the war? Do you?

The truth is that the war can’t be won militarily, and even Shays knows it. Yet he continues to support policies that prolong the war, and soldiers keep dying. So when you say Shays represents the interests of his constituents, the fact is he only represents the interests of those constituents who support the war but are either too afraid or too old to fight in it. Young brave constituents get blown up or torn away from their families.

The CT Post made none of these points. Nor did it discuss how the burdens of the war are being borne by so few people and, as a result, other people feel no urgency to end it. The sacrifices made by the brave few – in terms of lives and families ruined – deserve far more attention than Peter Urban and the CT Post are giving them. Instead, the Post writes fluff pieces promoting Chris Shays – one of the biggest proponents of the war and someone who has repeatedly deceived his constituents about the war’s progress and about his position on the war. That is what I was criticizing in my diary, which I thought was fairly obvious.

And although I never criticized you, you called the people who post at MLN "petty", "desperate", "basement-dwelling", "crazy", "self-aggrandizing" and "nutjobs." Is it crazy to pressure a Congressman to end a disastrous war? Is it crazy to expect journalists to accurately portray the actions of a Connecticut Congressman and their impact on the lives of his constituents? I disagree with what you have written, but I respect your right to speak your mind. I also have great respect for anyone who takes part in the political process, but if you truly want what’s best for this country, you won’t blindly support anyone, including Chris Shays. Everyone is wrong sometimes. In this case, the CT Post was wrong to print such a useless publicity piece, and Shays has been wrong on the war from the beginning.

At MyLeftNutmeg.com, we openly discuss topics such as this all the time. If you ever want to comment on a diary on MyLeftNutmeg.com, you are free to do so. Anyone is.

- captct

Anonymous said...

Wow--

I checked back in to look for a response, and instead of one from Hal, I find Capt CT's eloquent post.

Well, what he said is where I'm at too.

I guess I should also say that if Hal, a fine young man by anyone's standards, really feels hurt by what was said over at MLN, let me apologize on behalf of the entire community.

This isn't about any one of us. This is about the future of our country, and the political fight to end the occupation of Iraq. It's truly a shame that Congressman Shays won't join with the Democrats in Congress to start bringing our troops home. Maybe Hal can help him change his mind!

TrueBlueCT

Anonymous said...

propecia cost generic propecia when available - where to buy propecia in malaysia